
This post is soooo bitter sweet! I wrote it on Monday when Rhett resigned as GVHS Football coach...what a BUMMER day! This was not a fun decision to make....but it was either this year or next...either way...it was coming. And we are little sad....:( he is a lot..me just a little....I am more sad for my sweet hubby...who I love and I believe to has really done a great job...We have learned in our married life that there is more to life than wins...specially when you play your best and walk off the field/court with integrity...unfortunately not all agree with that....so a new chapter in our life is to begin.....
OH MY GOSH....
16 years!!!! WOW!!!!! I cannot believe how fast the last 16 years have gone by and almost 14 of it has been our married life...before that I was the "girlfriend"! There have many great and positive memories from the last 16 years and
some not so great. (sniff sniff!) Watching Sr's come and go...wins, losses (and not just losses from the game it self...but real losses), learning lessons. Over the last 16 years my husband went from the new single coach to the newlywed and husband, to home owner, to dad , to counselor during back to back losses of players and loved ones of players. He has in this last 16 years continued his education (finally done!!) built a house (well my dad and brother's did that, but Rhett tried to help) and took on many city and church callings. There have been times so hurtful I wanted to LEAVE, but then there have been times so GREAT I am glad we stayed! The road has been bumpy...but it has been great ride....from season 1 when the first two games of this new career were wins against So. Sevier and No. Summit....to years when we have been so beaten' up physically the team could barley move...I believe we were nick named the Band aid bunch....from the year we lost to Manti by a touch back to the year we FINALLY beat Grantsville in overtime...to the handful of seasons we made it to a second play off game...or the years back to back we lost Andy & Ryan. There have been lots of laughs and lots of tears..(sniff, sniff)..are.due to wins, losses, babies born at the 'wrong' time of the year, beloved parents of players passing (GB Michelle Ashton and Mike Neal, and bro. Stewart), missionary letters, wedding invitations, baby announcements and many many of these former players who are now married and are parents, who have become very dear friends. ... I remember his VERY first home game here in Gunnison and I came up from Valley to watch it...I was SO nervous for him....I don't even remember who they played...I just remember getting sooo excited and in my Kane Co. Dispatcher mode yelled "Go Bullfrogs!" lol...took many years to live that down...lol...We were sitting behind some parents (the Dyrengs....as in Coach Dyreng's parents) Cody was a Sr (i think) and his mom turned around and said...."which new coach do you belong to?" and of course...the girlfriend of the HEAD coach...HELLO!! I was mortified...sheesh..talk about red in the face! A few years later after a mission, college/marriage...Cody moved home and became the freshman coach...thanks Cody!!! Then a few years later when we married in the Spring of 1996, his senior players were our servers at the Gunnison Receptions....they were super good SPORTS!!! (i need to find that picture!) Our 2nd married year, my youngest brother moved in with us and played for Rhett...his Sr. year WAS A BLAST! I was expecting our oldest child and by the time this class (2000) graduated Dallin was like a mascot...he was in MOST of their Sr. Banquet Dinner Pictures (along with our future Aunt Kayla). 19 months later...I had baby #2 in OCTOBER...(not well planned!!!) Jentrie was born sick and had to got NICU in Provo, Rhett needed to go with her, so he turned the team over to Assistant Coach (Jim Reynolds at the time) and headed NO. with our super sick baby while I was in the hospital...I never forgot....before I left to go see her, I ran into Gavin and Zack and they asked about our baby...THEN a few days later there were visitors at NICU and it was Zack, his mom Delene and sister Markell....wow...I was so touched!!!! The game Rhett missed was against Manti on what would of been her DUE DATE!!! During that time several players came by to check on our little girl....20 months later...baby #3 arrived the end of JULY...hello!!!! She was born on the 25th, was also sick and sent north to NICU and came home 7 days later on Oxygen and an apnea monitor...Rhett started football the NEXT day!!! By then Coach B. (who played for rhett, part of the class of 2000) started helping out (along with many others who have moved away...Coach Ha'o, Coach Pickett, Coach Powel, Coach Smith to name a few- many others I am sure...right now my brain is fried!) My brother Brady started helping the last 2 seasons, after 2 tours to Iraq. Our baby who is now 4 1/2 came in the spring 21 months after Valerie and has been a football practice sidekick and loves the boys....he KNOWS their CARS!!! Named his stick horse after Brogan, looks for Cutler everywhere we go....likes it when they all come and jump on the tramp with him!!! We will miss this part of the game for sure!!! Getting to know these boys!!! and watch them grow into great young men!!! And thanks to some of you parents who have not only supported Rhett but become great friends...for "mom's" who have let me tag along to games from the VERY beginning....(You know who you are!!!) THANK YOU!!!
Thank you for the years of great (
okay and some not so great) memories....my husband will truly miss a few things1. the boys...they become his boys and he really does love them!!! Always feel free to come visit!!! He (and our family) would LOVE IT! (our family will miss them too....)
2. the coaches who have become great friends, not to mention family!
3. the GAME it self...he loves football and will always love football
A few things I am looking forward to:
1. getting our dad home before 6:30 every night!
2. Him spending more time with OUR kids....while they are still little
3. Getting our summers and falls back
4. No more "sorry, can't come, Rhett has football"
5. did I mention getting our dad back :) (and our hubby!) I really shouldn't say back...this is all we know... :)
We wish Gunnison Football the very best! Sometimes change is a good thing, sometimes it is better for others than some....this is a good thing for our family. (I will miss the excitement of the season as it begins...but I am looking very forward to this 'freedom'!!!) It is time for something new and different...even when change is hard. (I am NOT good with change...trying to stay positive) This has not in anyway been an easy thing, really really emotional...but it will be a good thing! Thanks to all who have supported my husband and our family the last 16 years...like I said...it has been a great ride!!! And you young men who have been apart of his life for the last 16 years will always be great memories. From the first team he coached in the season of 1993-1994 to this year 2009-2010 and all those in the middle!!! Thanks to Mr. Hill and Mr. Jackson at the District and Mr. Larsen at the High School for ALL your friendship! Thank You!!!
I love you babe...I believe you have done an amazing job!!!! I am looking forward to what the future brings. Even if it takes a while to get use to this change we will make it GREAT!!!
**Sorry for any typos...it is hard to type with tears! sheesh!
3 comments:
What an enormous change for your family. I wish you all the best in your new life without coaching football! What are you going to do with all of that time?
Hope you guys are doing okay. Let us know if there's anything you need (even if it's just a shoulder to cry on!).
...totally bawling...for you and with you....where one door closes...a window opens....luv yer guts!
Post a Comment