families are forever!

families are forever!

"A Child

will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, home happier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."


3rd Nephi 17:21-23 "And when he had said these words, he wept, and the multitude bare record of it, and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them. And when he had done this he wept again; And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them; Behold your little ones.."
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Friday, September 17, 2010

I love this MAN!!!!


Up on the Kiabab Mnt...we spent 4 days camping as a family!!
Of Rhett doing all the driving :)
If I haven't already said it, I am gonna say it again!!! I think this guy is pretty stinkin' awesome....I have been so proud of how he has "Moved On" these last few months...WE as a family had a FABULOUS Summer being gone 6 TOTAL weeks!!!! (not consecutive...just all together)...thus the lack of blogging!!! No time! lol...But tonight is Homecoming here at GVHS and he is being Honored...NOPE he doesn't know...so I haven't blogged before now.....but today is here and so I am going to put it out there how super AMAZING Rhett is! He is more relaxed and stress free and has enjoyed his time WAY more than he thought!! This summer, he golfed (a lot!!), went swimming with the kids, put rock on our house, went camping, hit family reunions with out being in a hurry to head back home, he did TONS of driving and spent HOURS AND HOURS with the FAMILY!!! And it was FABULOUS!!! Life after Football is pretty stinkin' great! :)

cooking breakfast on the mnt

playing with buddy

Night wear on the mnt...he's cute! :)
fixing one of the 3 flat tires this summer!!!
The Grand Canyon!
Manti Pool! :)












First Day of School 2010 aren't' they a super cute bunch!!
Tonight though, the GVHS Boosters Club is going to Honor Rhett for his 16 years of Service to the Gunnison Football team and school...as a coach and as a Teacher. They asked me to write a tribute in his honor...I had lots of help from his dad with information from the early years up to date, and many comments from players...but this tribute had to be under FIVE minutes...seriously...16 years in FIVE, preferably less...minutes...not possible! lol...But i tried...we will see what happens...Dad says he can do it exactly 5 minutes....I don't know though!  So here is the Tribute I came up with.....

“What counts in sports is not the victory, but the magnificence of the struggle” Joe Paterno

Family l/r: Rhett (5), Lance (3), Mom, Dad, Trent (2), Kirk (6), Bren (4), Max (1)
Coach Jackson is the 5th of six sons...He was part of a football tradition at an early age and was very observant of the planning and practice that went into this sport. The boy  who liked to read encyclopedias learned the X's and O's of the offense and defense that are so essential to football.  He learned much about football strategy from playing with the older boys,  watching games from the sidelines, from playing the sport and later assisting his high school coach Arlen Hafen. In football there are rules to be obeyed, boundaries that shouldn't be crossed, goals to obtain and penalties to be paid, that not only cost the player but his whole team. Football can prepare a young man for the realities of life. Bottom line...Rhett loved football!
8th grade
    Near the end of the eighth grade, he became very ill and was diagnosed with a life threatening disease. In spite of this, he tried hard through weight lifting, diet, and other physical activities to participate in sports. He worked hard and just when it appeared that he was getting stronger the disease would strike again. He took part in football and wrestling but do to lack of physical strength he could not reach his potential. This weakness just challenged him to work harder, this is where he found the love of the Weight Room...He started doing many lifts to improve his strength. From these experiences he developed not only physical strength but great strength of character. He learned the value of hard work, of commitment and determination. The word "quit" wasn't in his vocabulary...He is still a firm believer of the Weight room today...ask his boys...he isn’t afraid of a challenge!
Sr 1985 KHS

Rhett, at 155 pounds, was selected as a first team all-state lineman his sr year. While in college his grades and test scores were such that he could have chosen a career where there would be more money. But, he wanted to teach and to coach football,  so that he could help boys grow into men.  I have heard Coach Jackson tell “his” boys...”if it was easy, everyone would play”.
Coach Jackson 1994-95/2009-10
 In the summer of 1994-95, Coach Jackson was hired by Gunnison High as the new Football Coach. I remember him calling me after beating South Sevier for the first time EVER! He said it felt like the state championship!  I asked former student, player and assistant Coach Cody Dyreng what he remembered about Rhett the coach, from the early years...he told me that he had fond memories of the pizza/game film nights at Coaches bachelor pad! And how fun they were.” Those game film nights continued up until we started to have our family.  In the years to follow Coach Jackson was very instrumental in getting the New football field and track...which is the one we play on today, the grand stand, the Snack Shack, Lights,  Homecoming Tradition and boosters club come to mind. According to Annette Dyreng, “we didn’t know anything football...he told us what we need to do and how to do it, so we did.”
Homecoming win 2005
Manti Win 2006
A few memorable moments, taking a group of boys clear to Nebraska for a clinic,  being nicked named the band-aid bunch...many,  many times, a heart breaking defeat to manti, ...the AMAZING win in over time to Grantsville Remember November Class of 2000,  Beating #2 ranked No.Summit at OUR homecoming,  going 7-4, and beating Manti on their field....are few that come to mind among many more..




In 2001, tragedy hit our small Gunnison Team and Valley...when Andy Robinson was tragically taken in a car accident. With in an hour of the news our house was full of students and players looking to Coach Jackson for guidance...13 months later another tragedy  hit when another car accident took the life of team mate Ryan Taysom, once again our house was filled with students and players, seeking comfort from Coach. “I remember coach breaking out the scriptures. He went from coach to spiritual leader.” Said assistant coach Cody Dyreng. “I thought that was pretty cool. It meant a lot.”..In 2005,  2 players on our team lost a parent...first Mike Neal, who’s  son at the time was a freshman, and a  few weeks later Michelle Ashton, who’s son was a Jr.     Here are  a few words from a letter Taylor had written to Rhett that year:
    “Since my older brother played football his sr. year, I have been waiting to play on your team. I have been seriously blessed to play four strong years with you...you have not only been my coach, but your also an example, a teacher and a friend. You pushed me to reach my goals. Some of my hardest quizzes and test have been from your class. You taught me how to work hard in the classroom..this will last me far longer than any exercise or lift...and will follow me my whole life.  when my mom passed you were one of the first to my side to comfort me. This alone makes you one of the best adult friends and examples. Thank You.”         
    The following are a few comments are by former players that sum up the question “how Coach Jackson has effected the lives of his players....”
    “The biggest thing I would like to remark on is Coach’s passion for the players. A lot of people can call plays and look at the x's and o's of the game but Coach Jackson did so much more than that. He was a great example to us and showed us by his actions that he cared for us. Not only as football players but as kids and people that have problems and are trying to find their way. He helped me go on a mission and to know what really matters in life. I will always thank him for helping me become the man I am. He is one of the biggest influences on my life. I am sure he helped me more than he will ever know. From having coaches in other sports and in college I have come to appreciate that he cared for each of his players in a lot more areas than just football. I am lucky to know him. He is a great man and a very loving individual who will serve those around him. A great example of how to follow our savior!” ~ Jack Pay   
      “I have always considered Coach Jackson not just a teacher and coach but a friend. He has been the only person that has taught me in school that I could go talk to about real life and not just school stuff. He has always tried to give me advice to succeed in everything I do whether it was about school, family or a career. I think everyone that was around him when Andy and Ryan died looked up to him as a mentor and an anchor. During those times he stayed strong and through his knowledge and confidence we knew that everything was going to work out and be ok. I would never trade anything for the time I spent with Coach Jackson on the football field. He will always be Coach Jackson to me whether he is coaching or not.” ~ Ryan Frandsen
    “Being out here away from home has really made me reflect on my high school years, and with highs chool comes football!!! i will always be in love with this game, my life revolved around this game for 4+ years. i spent endless hours lifting and practicing for this game, and you  wanna know where my motivation came from?  if you guessed coach Jackson, your right! this man pushed me to the limit in the weight room and on the field!  and I’m thankful he did because the things I’m facing right now in the mission field have really tested me and I always have the experiences and lessons that coach Jackson has taught me to fall back on! I respect this man and he will always be the best football coach! he might not have had a lot of success number wise on the field, but the lives he has change as his example as a coach, friend, and leader will always be in the hearts of his football players like me! thank you Coach Jackson.... your like a father to me! love ya and the fam! God Bless!!!!” ~ Elder Heston Neal
    Many former players have commented that Coach always had a life lesson to be learned in any situation...win or loose.   
    "To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
            — Ralph Waldo Emerson
                   
Homecoming 2009/10 season
    We as a family have appreciated the support given over the last 16 years. And we  wish much success to gunnison football in the years to come...

 For the last 16 + years I have been your #1 fan. I am so very proud of the man you are, the example you are to me and our kids, to your players and students...on and off the field. Tonight we salute you, the man, the teacher, the leader, the coach, for your service, your loyalty and your time in building the GVHS football program and influencing  the many lives of Gunnison Valley’s young men. Thank You Coach Jackson!  




WHEW!!! I am really proud of Rhett...he is truly a Class Act...I had many comments from many players and only had (barely enough) time to use the ones I did...All though I think in some ways he will always miss coaching football....(the players and the competition the most)...I think change is great having our Fall's free leaves us more time for this:




 Way To Go Babe!!! I love you oh so much!!!




6 comments:

Camille said...

Oh Tiff! WOW! What a beautiful tribute to your husband! You did a FANTASTIC job and I can't wait to hear it in person and to see his face!!! He really has affected a LOT of lives for good :)

Emily said...

Wow! Yes that is a great tribute! I didn't know he wasn't coaching anymore?! I guess I don't have anymore cousin's down there that play! Well..at least boy cousins! Love the tribute! I think you did a great job! I think he's gonna be surprized @ GVHS's Home Comming!

Jackie Schugk said...

Tiff... what a great tribute.. bummed I could not be there in person to hear it... but I can say this about Rhett.. He is truely a class act.. I remember our sophmore year and he was our head coach for the girls basketball team.. he sure came into a mess.. but I think he did amazing!! I enjoyed the time in school with Rhett...So.. from my view Rhett deserves all the honor he can get.. as well as you Tiff.. you have been by his side all those years.. What a nice change i am sure to have him home.. Anyway hope all is well otherwise.. if you ever get to Nephi stop by.. we would love to catch up!!!

Anonymous said...

Tiffany - I got emotional reading your tribute to Rhett. I'm sure you did a fantastic job and that it meant a lot to him. Love you all!

Unknown said...

OH, Tiffany. What a sweet tribute. He will treasure this night. What a wonderful wife you are to make sure that this was so perfect for him.

Chad and Mandi said...

I loved reading this! It is all so true; he is a great example to us all. Thanks for sharing!

Mandi (Dyreng) Barton