9-27-08
I love how pretty bottled fruit looks!!! I finally finished - I know it doesn't seem like much, and it has taken me 3 days to get it all done. You know an hour here, 3 hours there. When the kids go to bed. Well, today I just let them be free...I finished the last 12 qrts of peaches (24 total...wish is was more) 7 pints of jam (13 total) and 6 -1/2 pints of jam (12 total) - 1/2 pints I use for gifts. That is approx 60 cups of SUGAR!! and 7 boxes of pectin...and reusing lid screws (they are all gone from any of our local stores) and 250 peaches...I counted the pits :) Plus 9 pints of Salsa. My feet are sore, my hands are dry and burn a bit from the hot peppers...I know use gloves! But I am so PLEASED with my work. I still have tons of tomatoes left to do. I am pretty sure I know what I will be doing during General Conf. next Saturday :)
If you notice this jar...that little orange dot is a BB HOLE...I believe there is a story here...I just don't know it. All I know is the qrt jars...which have been in my basement for YEARS!! came from mom and dads place. Mom gave me a bunch of qrt jars when they started remodeling the house. So they basically went from their basement to mine...lol. Well because I totally dislike washing a zillion jars, I just put them in my dishwasher WITHOUT inspection. I had the peaches all nestled in their new home..haha...and started pouring the HOT syrup over them when I noticed liquid everywhere...and thus the BB Hole was discovered...Hum I wonder which brother....and when. LOL!
The yumminess from our garden...yup even the bell peppers. The long red peppers came from our neighbor. Jentrie's favorite are the grape tomatoes..she will eat them with salt ALL day..I seriously had to tell her to stop! Happy Harvest!!!













2 comments:
I totally agree with you, there isn't anything prettier then fresh preserved food...whether form your garden or your neighbors!
We have apples to do and some chili sauce, because I have already me over 30 bottles of salsa and 30 of bottled tomatoes....the peaches look almost too good to eat, and when I did apricots from my sisters trees, I thought about grandma's tree and how this year someone else got to pick that fruit that we enjoyed straight off the tree. Made me a little melancholy. I also need to find something to do with the green tomatoes...we still have a ton of them coming on and I am afraid the frost is going to get them...so if you know something good!
I also did some pickled eggs, it took forever to find a good recipe and one that could be bottled...moist were just for your fridge, but they passed the mack test...so that means they are a keeper.
I almost made chacye late to one of his early morning games in Brigham City (45 minutes away from us), because I had stayed up late to get the elderberry jelly done before they went bad, we had picked them when mack was home....good thing that elderberry jelly is so worth it!!!
Chayce wants to go back up the canyon tomorrow and see if the rest are ready to pick....such good family memories of us all hunting and being at the cabin....I hope there is a time when we can all let our kids relive such great times we had as a group! We need to be closer to everyone!!!! We sure do miss everyone!
Canning is hard work!I know, I helped with pickles and salsa and I was spent! You did an amazing job woman!
Post a Comment