"I am a Soldier, Serving Proudly, standing tall.
I fight for freedom, yours and mine by answering this call.
I do my job while knowing, the thanks it sometimes lacks.
Say a prayer that I'll come home,
It's me who's got your back."
I still have 2 more pictures to post, unfortunately, I am going to have to re-scan them, they won't load for me. The two missing are of Rhett's dad Val who was in the Navy and served at Pearl Harbor just after WWII. The other one is of my grandpa 'Smokey' DeMille (my mom's dad) who served in Europe (Germany & Italy) during WWII. The photo's present are of my Grandpa Findley McDonald who served in India during WWII, my Dad (what a hottie!!) who served in Vietnam in the late 60's early 70's (he enlisted at age 17!!), my brother Brady who has served with the UTNG and
has been deployed twice to Iraq. I also have a cousin Preston McDonald (I don't have any pictures of Pres) who is a 'big wig' (: in the Army (stationed in Alaska) and I believe is going to be deployed on his fourth (? Katie, correct me if I am wrong) tour to the Middle east sometime after the new year. I also have a few uncles (my dad's brother's Jay & Gary) who have also served for our country. My family as you can see is HIGHLY patriotic. I am VERY proud of our families soldiers! I owe them MY life. I am eternally grateful for their service. I want them to know I love them and am so proud of them. Dallin's 3rd grade class is having a program at school tomorrow (I know..not on Veteran's day) He is very excited about this, he is so proud of his family members who have served as well. He was able to add all of his grandpa's and uncle Brady to a video clip the teachers made. We are looking forward to his program to honor our Veteran's.
I wrote this poem for my niece Hadlee when Brady left this last time (June 2007-08) She was just old enough to know daddy was going bye bye. I know... can I make this any sadder. The bright spot is he is home now. For along time we have all watched many soldiers come and go on the news. We have watched families say good bye and even though we do not know these people we shed a few tears for them, well....when Brady left the very first time, I didn't know how a few of my own family members were going to survive. It was heart wrenching! There are so many unknowns when you have a family member leaving for WAR!!! When the 145th left, I heard many comments (to me) about now I get it. (There were MANY young men from the Gunnison area who also served in Iraq with Brady....12 were former students of Rhett's, I believe 5 were from my Ward.) Now I know what this feels like! I think to myself, how did our forefathers (mothers) deal when they would go MONTHS with out w
ord from their loved ones. We are so blessed with the technology we have today. I rem
ember being so sad on the rare occasion Brady would call our home and get his voice on the answering machine.... And so HAPPY on the day's we would get to hear his voice and talk to him. Now when I see soldiers on TV leave their families...I do cry, I know their pain...and I am just the sister...not the wife or child, mom or dad. Thank you to ALL who sacrifice this 'pain' of leaving your life to fight for mine!!!! May God Bless Our Soldier's!My Daddy
I am told my daddy is a hero.
A soldier fighting for this Land called Free.
I have a hard time understanding..
You see, I am only three.
A soldier fighting for this Land called Free.
I have a hard time understanding..
You see, I am only three.
What does it mean to be a soldier?
I’m not sure what that means.
To me he’s just my daddy.
I want him home with me.
Mommy says that daddy’s brave
and has to go away.
To help another country be safe
so little kids like me can play.
so little kids like me can play.
So, daddy left on a great big plane.
He didn’t want to say goodbye.
He said, "I love you, be a good girl
and help mommy..."
As a tear peaked from his eye.
My daddy will be home, but not today.
He’s at work, serving our country.
My Daddy, My Hero - A Soldier..
Fighting for this Land called Free
For Hadlee (age 3)
and all kids missing their daddy













3 comments:
What a great post your poem is awsome good job!!
K- so your poem made me tear up a little. I, too, am so proud of all our soldiers and am so thankful for all they do for us! It was really hard when Shane left, because of like you said "The Unknown". I couldn't listen to that Tim Mcgraw song "Already Home" without just bauling! I still can't listen to it without tearing up. I'm just thankful that our loved ones made it home ok. Thanks for this post, it was really neat!
I love your poem. I am also thankful for the soldiers in my life past and present. They are awesome.
Thanks for the post.
Post a Comment