families are forever!

families are forever!

"A Child

will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, home happier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."


3rd Nephi 17:21-23 "And when he had said these words, he wept, and the multitude bare record of it, and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them. And when he had done this he wept again; And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them; Behold your little ones.."
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Tamales! 3-17-2009

...
I have been wanting to learn how to make Tamales FOREVER! and so I finally just went online and found a recipe that sounded good and EASY and went to work! I was so excited to find the Masa and corn husks at a fairly inexpensive price....yay! I had chicken already in the freezer and leftover pork roast...so there's the meat...yay! What I didn't plan on was how long it took to assemble them all together! WOW! it took me like 3 hours just rolling, wrapping and tying! And I only used HALF of the meat! Which made 60! I will get the rest done soon I hope! lol! They turned out GREAT...anyway I thought so and the Family kept eating them (and again today - leftovers!) For some reason they weren't as spicy today as they seemed last night. Any how....I was excited that I attempted and it worked so I will do this again! I could eat these for breakfast! Dallin said next time I needed to do beef! This is the recipe if any of you are interested:
TAMALES:
Corn Husk:
Soak for at least 2 hours in hot water (found at walmart and gunnison market)

Meat:
Roast or chicken (I am thinking I used 5 split chicken breasts - 10 pieces all together)...I boiled the chicken with 1 TBLS Chili powder - 1 TBLS Garlic, minced - 1 TBLS salt until it started to fall apart. Let cool, remove meat from broth...SAVE and strain broth...set aside

Meat Filling:
8 cups shredded meat of choice (i have NO idea how many pounds that is! but I had a generous 8 cups of PACKED shredded chicken and pork) you can also do ground beef
3 TBLS Chili powder (and that is less than called for!)
1 1/2 TBLS Cumin
1 1/2 TBLS Garlic powder
1 1/2 TBLS salt
1 TBLS pepper
1/2 c. canola oil (corn oil is what it called for but I didn't have any)
mix together...I used my hands to blend it all up good!

Masa:
2 lbs Masa in large bowl (also used to make corn tortilla's - yum!) found at Gunnison Market also...$1.99 for a 4 lb bag!
1/2 TBLS Chili Powder
1/2 TBLS Cumin
1/2 TBLS Salt
1 tsp Pepper
Mix well, add 2 cups Corn oil (I used melted shortening, that is what I had...you can also use lard or butter) mix well, add reserved broth 1 cup at a time until Masa is the consistancy of thick peanut butter.

Assembly:
Take husk wipe off with paper towel, spread on the masa mixture (I found it easier to use my hands instead of a spatula), use about 2 TBLS of meat mixture down the center and roll to one side. Tuck ends inside and roll (this sounds easier than it really is!) tightly without popping the husk...on several I doubled up the husk. Then tie with pieces of husks. I would steam them 12 at a time on my stove top double boiler (what I usually do corn on the cob with - mine is small) Steam time about 15 minutes per batch....then let them cool...they set up really good. I would also normally cover them in Enchillada Sauce ( I use the canned stuff...making the tamale homemade was about all I wanted to attempt!) Mine were a bit spicy...(this is the unspicy recipe!) so I didn't do the sauce for the kids...just salad, sour cream and salsa! YUM! I had them for breakfast! :)
If you try them ENJOY! Also, alter the spices to meat your tastes! Some may like them HOTTER! Just kick up that chili powder! :)

1 comment:

Wanna be farm girl said...

i am so excited to try this recipe It sounds awesome! We made chili relleno's that were really yummy....easy but it took re of us to process them!